Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Down At The Gaming Store

I had this new idea I pitched to the guy down at our local gaming store about a new type of RPG I was thinking of developing. I asked him, what if we got rid of all the dice, all the resolution mechanics, all the rules, the fascist GM structure which perpetuates a negative white authority model in our country, and just had two or more people sitting around, telling a story? He said it sounded a lot like this thing people had been doing since prehistoric times called “telling a story”. I was like, “exactly!” I think I might be onto something with this one. Stay tuned for further developments.

I also told him about Vince Baker turning down Mongoose because he’s making soooo much money alone (I guess Mongoose wanted to make a REAL RPG for once), and he was like, “so I guess that means D&D is doomed like you’re always saying, huh?" I hate that store sometimes—they never stock My Life With Master or Trollbabe, just because they don’t have “widespread appeal”, and “nobody here buys that crap”. Fine, Tim’s Gaming Dungeon, stock your White Wolf, stock your D&D, be the generic Wal-Mart of RPGs—but you know what? Wal-Mart is for rednecks. They don’t even have Chomsky in their book aisle.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy K said...

Always the Elite Pig-Dogs and their equating D&D to Walmart.

Well, WALMART gives MILLIONS of people ALL over the world jobs! What about My Life with Master? That game didn't grant Anyone a job! In fact, the Pig-Dog author still works a day job: Therefore his game is unsuccessful!

I am sick and tired of these elitists because they are not as smart as me but they think that they are. The games you play are totally insignificant, and nothing you ever say or do will influence ANYONE in the population. Ever. They will never change ANYTHING.

BUT WE MUST STOP YOU NOW BECAUSE YOU ARE DESTROYING GAMING EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Cornell Richardson said...

The furor of gamer plebes and unsophisticates simply means we're on the right track, roleplayingjesus.

"In fact, I think it's fairly reasonable to say that nothing popular has ever been good."

Every true gaming sophisticate knows this to be true. Excellent points all, rpj.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Dr Rotwang said...

Sex is pretty popular.

Ahhh, maybe it's just never been 'popular' for you...

4:01 AM  
Blogger Cornell Richardson said...

Professor Curtis says that much like Honore de Balzac (whom I gather to be some former gaming theorist), we must sacrifice "release" for art. However, I am told that Balzac did this willingly. (???)

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home